Author Topic: The Expanse  (Read 3256 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: The Expanse
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 12:37:57 PM »
Oh, it's pretty. And things blow up and dudes get spaced and the set-up is great. But it's all going through those GoT motions without actually building up to them. We've barely had time to really settle in with Miller (who was the one that was saved from the airlock), so his predicament didn't have the same impact it could have had. The two guys on the ship were simply to illustrate that there's strife between the superpowers that's building to a head -- we haven't seen them before and won't see them again. Instead of building that strife up (in the books, it was thanks to Holden's broadcasts to the entire system), we have to have weird set scenes like that one to remind us that there really is a problem. Why? Because the protagonists are all sitting around drinking talking about their lot in life.

This is like if Stargate was purely from the POV of the technicians ad politicians on Earth and never followed the team through the gate.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 09:13:32 AM »
Well, the long, slow burn is worth it, I think. Two episodes to go and they have no choice but to pack those final two hours with explosions and adventure. Thanks to eight talky episodes, they've established the ensemble pretty well. It was kind of a backdoor way to establishing an ensemble but, nonetheless, it's paid off.

Given that we're now fully in line with the third act of the first book, though, all the background political shit is, indeed, pointless. We're going to get all that next season...the constant diversions with nothing for the characters to do this season was silly.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2016, 12:32:50 PM »
So...all done. And it was pretty good. I'm a little neutral about it, though. It was a slow slog, but I think they're thinking bigger picture. Season one was a ten hour establishing shot. There's no way for them to slow down in season two now because Eros is going to go fucking bonkers as soon as season two starts.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2016, 11:39:55 PM »
Rewatching! Just to clear the DVR...

The second time around, this is quite good. What it makes me want to do is reread the books (the best epic sci-fi series of our generation, by the way). It's loyal to the books, it's slow moving and loving and self-aware, and I'm surprised they got away with it. What's great is that it just gets crazier and crazier. They made the first season with the idea that we'll look back on the series in 10 years and be astounded at the long game they played.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2016, 11:34:33 AM »
Book two here. And now I'm wondering if Miller is going to stick around and the asshole we never really connected with is going to be the "ghost"? They're changing up the books a bit.

Also lots of shit from the little novella I just read. Again, the show leaning more on the supplemental materials than the books themselves. Which is...hmmm...

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2016, 09:08:38 AM »
Still trying to hard...

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 11:54:40 PM »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2017, 10:45:56 AM »
Season one was a slow burn, but season two really puts this on the map as the most important sci-fi show on TV right now. The religious adherence to the books means that they aren't racing to the adventure stuff. They're telling the same HIGHLY addictive story at the same sort of speeds.

It's season two where shit's about to go off the rails... And, in the books, it pretty much stays off the rails forever more. And it's a beautiful thing in terms of storytelling.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2017, 08:25:35 AM »
Man, this show is picking all the right storytelling notes. While the book-readers know that the universe as the show knows it is about to change, this was something of a slow-down episode that highlighted the political conflicts and also flashed back to tell us a story about the last time the universe changed -- the discovery of the fusion drive. Something much needed because everything's going to come to a head very quickly this season.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2017, 08:35:30 AM »
And...done. Now, we wait a whole year for the next season. Jeez.

Still the best sci-fi show on TV (and perhaps for this decade).