Author Topic: Not Worth a Thread: TV Edition  (Read 69314 times)

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
Re: Not Worth a Thread: TV Edition
« Reply #660 on: September 26, 2016, 04:09:22 PM »
Fall Premier Report :

The Exorcist. This is a straight up adaptation of the original done by someone who didn't understand it and wanted a painfully clear background and explanation for all the characters. Meanwhile, the studio clearly said  "you gotta lay off all the stuff with the girl."

Interesting. The horror world seems to love it.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #661 on: September 26, 2016, 04:30:54 PM »
The "horror world" also loves The Walking Dead franchise and American Horror Story. Which, honestly, you and I could recreate to a tee in your basement.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #662 on: September 28, 2016, 08:38:57 AM »
Fall Premiere Report:

Aftermath. SyFy's new low budget post apocalypse show to pair up with the unwatchable Z Nation. Poorly scripted, poorly acted, and with mistakes not even a film student would make, this is an almost cringeworthy story of a family escaping the Biblical End of Days in Washington state. I'll give it a few episodes solely because I'm a post apocalypse geek but, for rational, thinking people...this should be avoided at all costs.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #663 on: September 30, 2016, 11:10:01 AM »
Fall Premiere Check-in!

So the only two watchable new shows so far are The Good Life and Designated Survivor.

The former is cute but pretty much just hitting one note. Episode two was dull, episode three was a bit more fun.

Designated Survivor, two episodes in, is still okay. Warning: I'm a Natascha McElhone AND a Maggie Q apologist.

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #664 on: October 03, 2016, 01:31:28 PM »
Luke Cage--

I haven't finished the season yet but 9 episodes in and I like it...a lot.  The tone and storytelling are very black-centric, which if you read anything about it beforehand is kind of a "duh".  You delve more into black culture than any other crime drama out there.  Which is refreshing.  And more importantly it's not in your face.  It just exists, which I think plays perfectly.  It doesn't even play the race card.  It just says we are black and this is our history and culture here in Harlem.  No mention of negativity towards whites or cops.  Although it should be noted that every cop car has a black cop and a white cop.  I have no idea how accurate that is, but I think in our age of #blacklivesmatter is interesting.

It has a slow build to it, the same that Jessica Jones had.  Which is a nice break from the "in your face monster of the week" that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has.  It took me a couple of episodes to get past that actually.  I'm so used to "show me their powers and backstory NOW".  But once I did, I have greatly enjoyed the show.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #665 on: October 03, 2016, 02:54:29 PM »
Been actively avoiding it... Maybe I'll give it a go.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #666 on: October 06, 2016, 08:54:16 AM »
Things that are annoying me about Designated Survivor:

The dueling designated survivors. This is ridiculous, plain and simple. if Virginia Madsen takes over, it'll be a coup as serious as the evil general taking over. Right now they're handling this correctly -- she's saying she'll wait till the election in 2 years. So that means she'll just be a weird annoyance for the next two seasons? Some silly backroom drama to further splinter the plot?

The evil adviser/chief of staff. So everyone knows he's evil, but nobody seems worried because "that's DC!" If it really were DC, that guy would have been fired about a dozen times.

"The Red Line's not running today." How nice to see Metro's problems actually become a part of prime time TV. Unfortunately, this is presented as a problem that "a chief of staff should know about." Well... It's actually a daily problem, not a weird one off occurrence, and we all have to find alternative ways to get to work -- from the janitor to the senior staff for POTUS.

The video. Keifer's inexplicable belief that there's some Other Power behind the attacks even though he has all his experts saying otherwise AND a video from a terrorist group claiming responsibility. Yes, of course, we, the audience, know that there's some Other Power behind the attacks... But you literally have to be an audience member watching to know that. Keifer wouldn't be putting two and two together like he does because he doesn't have the same information we do.

The information we have. Maggie Q breaks the rules again and again...except to tell someone around POTUS what she's suspecting. Which is sort of a corollary to the above point, but also frustrating and dumb.

The Fed's response in general. "We have 50 agents on this!" The Capitol was destroyed, along with all of Congress and the president, by forces unknown, and you just assign 50 agents? They assigned several hundred agents to take down petty New York bank robber Al Nussbaum. Maybe the president wasn't popular.

The firing. So Keifer wasn't actually fired... It hadn't taken effect yet. Which means there wouldn't be much about it in the system to leak. However, because it leaked, that makes me think he was officially fired, in which case there is a touch of a constitutional crisis that should be a bit more clearly addressed instead of inserted as the problem du jour for the episode and then quickly brushed over. (PS: If it were official, then he wouldn't have been the designated survivor.)

Where are the States? We see one governor acting out against the President. While this is a very real possibility if the federal government is decapitated, what's supposed to happen is an emergency electoral election to fill congress. The state legislatures would organize and appoint representatives by special election. These elections can't be stopped short of martial law being declared. While it would take a while to pull this off (so, right now, it makes sense for the show not to have a Congress), this is something that the show will have to face in very short order. It's odd that it's not being discussed. It's even odder that what happens once that Congress is organized isn't being discussed -- the new Speaker would, essentially, outrank Keifer. And THAT is the weird Constitutional battle the show is looking for, not Madsen (though chances are she'd get that job anyway). So...perhaps they're holding out for that, but then we have a Constitutional Drama and not a Regular Drama.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #667 on: October 12, 2016, 11:09:40 PM »
Fall Premier Report:

Channel Zero. Syfy's "horror anthology" is a feeble attempt to copycat Black Mirror.

But you,  senator, are no Black Mirror.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 11:20:56 PM by nacho »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #668 on: October 12, 2016, 11:20:10 PM »
Suddenly,  Designated Survivor is about Maggie Q in a tight top and slick skirt. So that only took three episodes.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #669 on: October 15, 2016, 10:03:29 AM »
Fall Premiere Report:

Falling Water. Three people are having similar dreams and being led into a mystery. A corporate CEO believes that the dreams represent communication -- and a warning -- from beyond (or...something).

Sounds dumb but is actually very good. Well acted, tight writing, and still interesting two episodes in.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #670 on: October 21, 2016, 06:23:32 PM »
Fall TV Premiere report:

Wolf Creek.

RC, you said that the horror world was all about the terrible Exorcist. If they were *real* horror people, they would be watching this amazing adaptation of a bad horror movie. Well worth it. Shocking, gripping, 197% better than the movie franchise.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #671 on: October 26, 2016, 07:39:46 AM »
Fall Premiere Report:

Mars.

Okay, so this is actually an infomercial for SpaceX and Elon Musk...and it doesn't hide that. Each episode features interviews with Musk and others involved in getting us to Mars. And, yet...it kind of works. There's a certain earnestness to those people that feels just fine because they aren't asking us to invest they're telling us that they have billions and here's their plan, and they're very open about how many times they've fucked up and why. The infomercial segments are actually fascinating.

Meanwhile, there's an actual story going on. It's 2033 and a crew of the best and brightest are piloting super-ship Daedalus to a pre-built hab complex on Mars. It's a one-way trip for them, with the idea that more people will follow after 20 years. The infomercial segments go into great detail about how the hab will be made, which saves the narrative element of the show from having to over-explain. Weirdly. I don't know how that works, but it does!

So, anyway...something goes wrong. The rocket lands 75 kilometers away from the hab. The commander is a fucking tool who's hurt himself but is lying about it. They have two days to live and no way they can get to the hab so they shelter in a temporary Russian test base... And drama unfolds!

So far so good.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #672 on: October 27, 2016, 07:38:29 AM »
Fall Premier Report:

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.

The famously un-adaptable Douglas Adams book is...completely un-adaptable. I had to quit this one after 15 excruciating minutes. Actual squirm in my chair excruciating. Sad.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #673 on: October 27, 2016, 02:07:03 PM »
Suddenly,  Designated Survivor is about Maggie Q in a tight top and slick skirt. So that only took three episodes.

1) He can't appoint a VP without a Congress
2) Everyone should be talking more about Congress
3) Clumsiest copying of Manchurian Candidate ever

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #674 on: November 05, 2016, 05:02:07 PM »
Wolf Creek continues to be a damned fine adaptation. The only shortcoming is our Last Girl main star who's supposed to be American and can't do an American accent to save her life... And doing an American accent is, like, Acting 101, right? British and Aussie children learn how to do that in grade school.