Author Topic: Not Worth a Thread: TV Edition  (Read 73109 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Not Worth a Thread: TV Edition
« Reply #690 on: May 16, 2017, 07:33:41 AM »
So, yeah, forget about Discovery. Let's just go in this direction instead!

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #691 on: May 18, 2017, 10:40:10 AM »
That's gonna be okay, I think.

Not to keep harping on Rick and Morty, but it seems to be the sci-for parodies are now better than the shows they're aping.  Rock and Morty is classic Doctor Who turned on its ear. This is Star Trek by way of galaxy quest.

I read an interesting piece today about how all our future sci-go is PA stuff these days. There's not a whole lot of hopeful visions of the future in "serious" sci-go. This is a reflection of our world culture, I get that. It just seems the comedies get future sci-if in the way the more serious shows don't.

Then again, we're all doomed, right? So maybe the downer PA sci-if has it correct.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #692 on: May 18, 2017, 11:11:27 AM »
I would debate that article. Could you link it?

But, unread, I'd say that our sci-fi isn't dominated by PA stuff...it's just that the PA stuff is the most popular!

Non-PA sci-fi for 2017: Timeless, Doctor Who, American Gods, Star Trek Discovery, Twin Peaks, Grimm, Sleepy Hollow, Orphan Black, Voltron, The Magicians, The Expanse, Humans, The Good Place, The Orville, Agents of Shield, Powerless, Legion, Gotham, etc....

PA sci-fi for 2017: TWD, FTWD, Preacher, iZombie (arguably), The 100, The Leftovers, The Colony.

With Preacher, iZombie, The 100, The Leftovers, and The Colony all adhering to a theme of renewal, salvation, or hope.

In fact, the only true PA sci-fi currently airing is TWD and family.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #693 on: May 18, 2017, 11:20:17 AM »
Oh, I guess Into the Badlands is PA sci-fi...but it's so weird and the apocalypse so far removed and ignored in the script that it doesn't quite matter.

And Handmaid's Tale, of course. Though that is more of a political think-piece a la V for Vendetta.

I'd argue that PA sci-fi is, in fact, embracing a dystopian view of the modern world. i.e., doing what sci-fi does best and mirroring (or...Black Mirroring, ha ha) our modern day social fuckery.

In the 60s, utopian idealism reigned the minds of the genre's target audience. In the late 70s and 80s, nuclear war and general fallout from impending global conflict ruled the minds of the genre's target audience. In the 1990s, exploration and computer wizardry ruled the minds of the target audience. In the 2000s, nostalgia walked hand-in-hand with lazy "re-introductions" to previously profitable wells. Now the target audience is disengaged, cynical, and distrustful. Thus, Handmaid's Tale, as a great example of the shifting sands of sci-fi, moves from "Crazy Shit set 500 Years From Now," to "Sometime Next Week."

(By the way, as I wrote that comment, I was reminded -- yet again -- about how Max Headroom was so ahead of its time...)

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #694 on: May 18, 2017, 11:58:45 AM »
To be fair, the article is four years old, but it's still pertinent.

http://entertainment.time.com/2013/03/29/where-are-our-bright-science-fiction-futures/

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #695 on: May 18, 2017, 01:39:37 PM »
That four years makes all the difference, though. Four years ago we had the poorly-received Falling Skies, The 100 had been announced, other failed shows like Dominion and Defiance looked like they would survive, but ultimately didn't.  TWD was still a juggernaut, and so on.

Many of the high brow PA shows that were airing or about to air four years ago ended up being one-season flops. And even the almighty TWD is falling on hard times today versus four years ago when Fear was announced and it looked like TWD was poised to basically take over AMC. And Fear has turned out to be a confused, hot mess that exists only due to momentum from the parent show (which may not reach beyond 2018 at the current rate).

So I stand by my argument.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #696 on: June 07, 2017, 04:18:50 PM »
I know we don't have a Rick & Morty thread (and should), but this makes me so stoked for season 3.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #697 on: June 23, 2017, 09:48:12 AM »
Honest Taglines:

The Mist

"A completely random idea cooked up by a bunch of guys while they were watching the MAJOR MOTION PICTURE The Mist based on a story by STEPHEN KING! You love that guy, right? Then you should totally watch this. If only to see how far away we can possibly get from the actual meat of this 100 page story from 40 years ago."

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #698 on: June 24, 2017, 11:43:37 AM »
Wow... The latest episode of Dark Matter was great! It was the groundhog day episode -- a sci-fi TV show trope -- but they somehow made it original by, weirdly, telling it partially from the viewpoint of people who were not caught in the time loop.