Author Topic: Doctor Who: Seasons 34-36: The Capaldi Years  (Read 22361 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Doctor Who: Seasons 34-36: The Capaldi Years
« Reply #285 on: July 10, 2016, 03:01:46 PM »
Reading between the lines, it's really just talking about a multi-Doctor story. Which was all the rage in the classic show, and has become so again after Day of the Doctor.

Also, if Capaldi was leaving, we'd know it by now. They're halfway done filming. Everything else has leaked! Missy's back, the usual Big Bads are back, etc.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #286 on: August 05, 2016, 12:25:37 PM »
The missing episodes rumors return! This time based off of two interesting facts:

The first is a film convention on August 27th which will feature the primary missing episode hunter and a well known film restorer. Odd to have those two together. (Though this could be for one of the many other TV show missing episodes Morris recovered along with Doctor Who.)

The second is the Beeb's vague announcement about an anniversary release of episodes on iTunes in November. (Though this is probably just one in a long line of vague announcements from the Beeb and will probably just be the currently available episodes getting a streaming dump because they want to phase out the DVDs.)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #287 on: September 07, 2016, 11:01:01 AM »
Lots of Who news!

First off, we're getting an animated Power of the Daleks. It's the first episode of the Second Doctor's tenure. On paper, and in audio, it's simply amazing. The show has not only saved itself by inventing the regeneration shtick, but now they have to deal with it in narrative. Two shocked companions join the newly young and slightly unstable Doctor as they're thrust into one of the darker and more frightening Dalek stories.

Animation has been used in the past to bridge some lost episodes. They've always done a very poor job. Almost Clutch Cargo style animation. I'm hoping there's a bit more life to this since all episodes of the story are lost.

Meanwhile, Season 36 gets a premiere date in April. We'll see Capaldi at Christmas and he'll be in the premiere of the spinoff Class, which starts this month and is being billed as "the next Buffy the Vampire Slayer."

Moffatt, meanwhile, has become downright maudlin as he enters his final days as showrunner. Saying he's leaving because he couldn't stand watching actors leave. Wah wah.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #288 on: September 07, 2016, 02:15:57 PM »
Oh!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #289 on: October 08, 2016, 12:41:36 PM »
So the only reason Class is getting any traction is because we're all starved for new Who.

The Beeb knows this since the Class teaser is just Capaldi:

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #290 on: October 08, 2016, 01:05:59 PM »
And the first Christmas teaser. With creepy Matt Lucas. Blah.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #291 on: October 10, 2016, 07:26:01 PM »
More Class:

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #292 on: October 25, 2016, 04:13:07 PM »
So "Class" is a disaster and getting panned by pretty much everyone in the Nerd-o-sphere.

Which...isn't surprising. At all.

I get that they want to capitalize on the Doctor Who thing, but NuWho has been crippled by the inability of the show to understand the audience. Is it kids? Is it die hard fans? Is it any of the four generations of viewers who love the show?

So here's an idea: You've got 97 missing episodes. Many of them are amazing fucking scripts. If they're so desperate to make a spin off, then here's the real secret -- those four generations of viewers ALL want the Doctor in his TARDIS.

I keep thinking of how perfect An Adventure in Time and Space was. David Bradley just died on GoT, bring him back as the First Doctor! Get Shearsmith in as the Second Doctor. Let's get remakes of the lost episodes during the off seasons.

Or just give Michelle Gomez her own show.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #293 on: October 25, 2016, 05:04:39 PM »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #294 on: October 25, 2016, 06:31:03 PM »
God, I love her.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #295 on: November 06, 2016, 09:04:47 AM »
Episode one of Power of the Daleks is up today. I'm waiting on the DVD... But everyone is raving about it. It's really just because the fans are so desperate, especially for this Holy Grail of episodes, but I love to see buzz and success for classic Who.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #296 on: December 15, 2016, 10:18:18 AM »
Jesus... I'm the sort of super fan you'll only meet once in a lifetime, but even I'm starting to wonder if bringing Doctor Who back was really a good thing...

We knew that Matt Lucas’ Nardole, who first showed up in “The Husbands Of River Song,” was going to be in more than one of the new Doctor Who episodes. But now we have a few more details about what he’s doing and how long he’s staying.

After a screening of the Christmas special, Lucas said, “You’re stuck with me for a little bit” and said his character was more of a “valet” than the traditional companion. He added that, over the course of his episodes, “You learn a little bit more about me and I’m a bit of a thorn in [the Doctor’s] side. I have a job to do, but I think [the Doctor will] regret giving me that job.”

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #297 on: December 15, 2016, 08:50:32 PM »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #298 on: December 16, 2016, 08:46:03 AM »
Wow. What a stinker.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #299 on: January 06, 2017, 10:47:06 AM »
So...I still haven't watched the Christmas Special! Not have I bothered to check out the trailer.

The Americanization of Doctor Who worries me. The special bombed in the UK, but was a mega hit on BBC America. It was also set in NYC. The Beeb has been trying to make Doctor Who an American franchise for years now, but it sort of misses the point, no? The core fandom loves the show for it's Britishness! Or...maybe not. Hard to tell if ratings are being driven by nostalgia and nostalgia-heads teaching their children the same or if there's actually a new audience coming to the show. (And the latter sucks because they'll spit on the first 40 years of the show).

I think pulling their punch on killing Jenna Coleman really put me off. Not only did they pull their punch, they spent three episodes writing their way out of the punch! Come on, people. Companions have died before. It's okay. It's also 2016, where main characters on shows die all the time. Gina, on Brooklyn Nine Nine, just got hit by a bus!

Anyway...blah.