Author Topic: Doctor Who: Seasons 34-36: The Capaldi Years  (Read 24107 times)

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
Re: Doctor Who: Seasons 34-36: The Capaldi Years
« Reply #300 on: January 06, 2017, 12:12:51 PM »
The Americanization of Doctor Who worries me.

This reminds me I have lots of hints say about the new Harry Potter spin-off film, and how I've decided Rogue One isn't really a Star Wars movie. (Where the new Harry Potter movie *is* a Harry Potter/Wizarding World movie

But Harry Potter is also insanely British, and what fans love sou it is insanely British as well. The new movie brings the mythology to the U.S, but it was written by Rowling and directed by David Yates, both Brits. They seem to know that keeping it British is what makes it work. (Even if they misrepresent American attitudes a bit.)

Who is following the money. Brexit and Trump as souls sisters, remember?

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #301 on: January 14, 2017, 10:42:34 AM »
Finally cowboyed up and watched the Christmas Special.

My god...the pandering to the American audience is obscene. And something I don't get. The show has a solid, multi-generational fanbase upon which they've spent ten years building and building a new generation. Is this a "the world is not enough" syndrome? A parallel to politics? They're making a bid for 100% world audience participation by walking some sort of imaginary middle road that destroys all humanity and integrity?

I hope Moffatt's departure will change this show. And I hope Capaldi stays...because he's the only good thing.

I can't tell if the "privatization" of Doctor Who (the cashing in on, marketing of, and global spreading of) is what hurts the show or if we're in a sort of transitional period where that's the inevitable fate of NuWho (and, potentially, a good thing, once it transitions to...whatever the fuck they're trying to transition it to.)

But, of course, Doctor Who was always a lucrative global freakout. It's just now that the Beeb is able to hide behind profiteering shell company alter egos like BBC America and actually enjoy the phenomenon.  So I'm thinking the last 10 years of the Beeb is sort of akin to that college kid from Amish country who discovers alcohol and drugs.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #302 on: January 31, 2017, 10:44:00 AM »
Well... there it is.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/peter-capaldi-is-leaving-doctor-who-1791795605

Peter Capaldi Is Leaving Doctor Who

It’s time to say farewell to the latest incarnation of the world’s most beloved Time Lord: Peter Capaldi has officially announced his departure from Doctor Who at the end of the current series.

Capaldi, who plays the 12th incarnation of the Doctor, joined the series for its eighth season in 2014, but this year’s season 10 will now be his last in the TARDIS, and Capaldi will depart during the 2017 Christmas Special. The news was just confirmed by the BBC on social media this afternoon.

Capaldi is not the only Doctor Who talent departing at the end of the season—showrunner Steven Moffat, who’s been in charge of the series since 2010, will leave with Capaldi at Christmas, replaced by Broadchurch’s Chris Chibnall. The BBC had asked Capaldi to stay on after Moffat’s departure, but clearly, the actor has declined. His full statement has now been released by the BBC, and you can read it below:

One of the greatest privileges of being Doctor Who is to see the world at its best. From our brilliant crew and creative team working for the best broadcaster on the planet, to the viewers and fans whose endless creativity, generosity and inclusiveness points to a brighter future ahead. I can’t thank everyone enough. It’s been cosmic.

The 10th season of Doctor Who is set to air on BBC One and BBC America this April.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #303 on: January 31, 2017, 10:52:37 AM »
Such a fucking shame. This is all political, as well. The Beeb is going insane trying to figure out how to rebrand Doctor Who (see my previous rants about how greed now controls them).

Capaldi was the best thing to happen to NuWho, but also clearly illustrated that the Beeb doesn't know what to do with NuWho. They misused him, they're disgracing the show, and the next steps are going to be a backlash politically correct Doctor (minority or female) that'll be more about how "Oh, you're now black" or "You're now a woman" than simple storytelling regardless of race or gender.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #304 on: February 06, 2017, 12:06:31 PM »
At least the show is doing one thing right:

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #305 on: February 06, 2017, 12:17:28 PM »
She makes me feel funny. In a good way.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #306 on: February 26, 2017, 12:50:59 PM »
So...takeaways:

1) We're companion heavy...again. Why the fear of Capaldi, Moffatt?

2) He's in The Library. Since the Christmas special was all about him mourning River Song, then even money says this whole goddamned season will be about rescuing River. Blah.

Anyway...

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #307 on: March 07, 2017, 01:59:25 PM »
Doctor Who Is Bringing Back the Original, Hellishly Creepy Cybermen From the '60s

So this is fine as long as it's an actual thing and not a retread of idiotic Asylum of the Daleks fan service.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #308 on: March 14, 2017, 11:24:24 AM »
Hmmm... A little better. Daleks, Missy, and a return to the Tomb of the Cybermen (which would make these the Telos Cybermen who definitely have an axe to grind with the Doctor).

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #309 on: April 01, 2017, 10:07:20 AM »
News that Pearl Mackie's character is gay is both refreshing and alarming.

It's refreshing because, after 10 years of NuWho, there will FINALLY not be a romance angle between a 20 year old woman who's never left a London ghetto and a 1000 year old alien who may also be a god who has experienced everything.

Alarming because they'll ham-handedly make a big deal of their diversity that, with NuWho's writing standards, will be just shy of Moffatt sitting on a stool and speaking directly to the camera about how impressed we should be.

Also alarming because I fully expect the 13th Doctor to be played by a woman and then...we'll full circle to the romance angle. No escape.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #310 on: April 03, 2017, 11:03:57 AM »
Rumor du jour is that Mackie is leaving with Capaldi. Sub-rumor du jour is that the first post-Moffatt season is going to be a full-on reboot.

But, then, technically, this show has rebooted itself 13 times. It's kind of the whole point.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #311 on: April 04, 2017, 09:28:41 AM »
A regeneration tease. Even money the Master kills the Doctor again.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #312 on: April 04, 2017, 11:40:10 AM »
Gooooooooomez.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #313 on: April 05, 2017, 08:32:54 AM »
Apparently there's a giant twist at the end of the first episode. The rumors are all over the place: From Capaldi leaving the show earlier in the season rather than at the end to Jenna Coleman coming back to the show.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #314 on: April 05, 2017, 10:41:53 AM »
Everybody needs to get over JLC.