Author Topic: Doctor Who: Seasons 34-36: The Capaldi Years  (Read 23378 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Doctor Who: Seasons 34-36: The Capaldi Years
« Reply #330 on: April 25, 2017, 10:34:36 AM »
"Smile" was interesting. It felt like a classic series episode in that nothing happened for the first couple acts. Except, in this case, that was done so we could explore the relationship between the Doctor and Bill. And poorly done, too, because then the final act was a messy race to tie everything up.

Exploring a relationship between the Doctor and a Companion is also a mistake. We're supposed to be thrilled that Bill asks questions "that the audience always wanted to ask" like how much does the TARDIS cost. Ummmm... A sentient machine made by a race of gods? On a show that's been in the public conscious for 54 years? That's actually not the question the audience is asking.

But, oh well.

Rumor is that Pearl Mackie got herself fired because she was a nightmare on set, thus her one season. She's not even carrying over to the Christmas special. So that also makes everything seem a little hollow.

Overall, though, Capaldi is the sort who can carry any story on gravitas alone. So I was fine with "Smile." And also reminded how fucking awful NuWho is and how we're probably doomed because the next Doctor will either be a publicity stunt or a dud.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #331 on: May 16, 2017, 07:41:11 AM »
Okay...so people are raving about this season, but it's really a hot mess. The show is, again, obsessed with the companion, with Bill-heavy episodes and the Doctor bizarrely distracted by her well-being while not caring about or even outright sacrificing everyone else to keep her safe (implying, once again, that the companion is a Special Mystery Girl).

This is even more hollow knowing that Mackie leaves this season and there was bad blood on set. 

The episodes are lame. Either safe-zone stuff like the Doctor and his Scooby Gang vs. a haunted house, or what critics are lauding as "Classic Who" style -- fighting zombies on a space station. In the latter case, though, the episode was an overcrowded, disjointed mess that failed on almost every level.

The "fun factor" of Classic Who is missing. But the fact that NuWho has no soul is an old complaint at this point.

I feel like the departure of Moffatt may be the last hope for this show. Will season 37 be new blood? Or have the Moff's problems actually been BBC's problems? As in, they're the ones forcing the path of NuWho in the interest of marketing?

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #332 on: May 18, 2017, 10:35:38 AM »
Rick and Morty is what you want NuWho to be.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #333 on: May 18, 2017, 11:02:37 AM »
Rick and Morty is what you want NuWho to be.

All I ask is that they fucking lay off the fucking "Special Girl" Companion angle. Why can't the Companion just be some ordinary person who gets swept up in an adventure? That's a trope that's as old as the written word...for a reason! Because we all want to be swept up into an adventure!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #334 on: May 19, 2017, 02:08:34 PM »
With Missy leaving, rumors that Susan is in the Vault, and hints (in the latest episode) that Nardol is a Time Lord, I feel like we're screaming into some sort of bizarre show-killing full-on reboot.

I'm hoping we have a blow-out here and then the show takes a break for a bit. I know we have to stomach the Christmas Special, but... I don't know. I just want Classic Who back, I guess. Just give me an adventure in space and time!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #335 on: May 21, 2017, 01:08:50 PM »
Okay, so Missy's in the vault. And, like in the 90s TV movie, the Doctor is once again the guardian of the Master's essence after an execution (which he botched on purpose).
 snorebot!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #336 on: May 23, 2017, 12:31:15 PM »
So I love the fan theory that John Simm is actually the 13th Doctor. Instead of a multi-Master episode, we're getting Capaldi regenerating into Simm.