Author Topic: Lost 4.0: Gilligan & Mary-Anne Hook Up  (Read 10166 times)

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
Lost 4.0: Gilligan & Mary-Anne Hook Up
« on: December 19, 2007, 05:25:04 PM »
I looked for a season four thread and couldn't find one.

Trailer for Season Four of Lost

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Lost 4.0: Gilligan & Mary-Anne Hook Up
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 05:40:25 PM »
I was quietly avoiding a season four thread.  Now I have no hope!

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
  • maybe you shouldn't dress like a bumblebee, bitch
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 07:29:42 PM »
Yeah, your boy Eugene from Rescue Dawn is supposed to be in this season.

Also the rumor mill says they may bring in Peter Griffin for comic relief.
8=o tation

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 08:30:19 PM »
So will Eugene play the exact same role?

I hate Lost.

Offline Matt

• working through the 1st 10,000
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 08:33:19 PM »
*yawn, is happy he quit watching this series after season 2*

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 08:36:56 PM »
Anyway, so, let's look at that trailer stupid RC posted.  Pretty much tips their hand.  While still out with the jury on the finale flash-forward (was it real?), what we do see here is the Dharma Initiative returning to fuck over the Others once and for all...and all of our retarded waterheads forced to side with the Others. 

All I know is that Charlie's death was so stupid, the whole "Not Penny's Boat" revelation didn't matter to me.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 08:45:32 PM »
Is this the last season?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 08:46:30 PM »
No, it got renewed for three years, remember?  That was the big thing... Abrams said he wanted seven years or whatever and they said, "Okay," and gave it to him. 

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 10:35:21 AM »
So downloaded but not watched yet.  I'll settle down with some gin and get it in me tonight, along with Alien v. Predator 2.  Double the shit!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 10:32:45 PM »
And...away we go!

We start off with a classic-era Dr. Who style reshoot of last season's finale, which is weird.  It's just slightly off, enough to catch up with Matthew Fox's new unshaven look since the episode flashes from the present back to just a minute or so after the finale.  (Evangeline Lilly has also lost all of her girl-fur, which is a shame.  Guess everyone had the time to get haircuts and go to the salon in the 60 seconds that elapsed in the show's time.)

Still...it rocks.  It is awesome.  It pretty much reboots itself.  Wash the last three seasons clean and just start over -- now with the "Oceanic Six" back home, the rest of the survivors missing thanks to an 11th hour warning and the machinations of Locke (which we got with last season's finale).  Meanwhile, the Dharma Initiative (I assume) is creeping around as a menacing above the law organization trying to get to the bottom of it all.

We still haven't caught up with the flash forward from the finale and, thankfully, they allude to it...so that's not forgotten.  Looks like this season will be spent with the present-day Oceanic Six moving towards that breaking point from the finale while flashing back to whatever shit happened during the rescue.

Also -- those forgotten sub-plots?  They're back.  The whispering jungle, the hauntings...  Beautiful.

Actually good enough that I'm hesitant to continue my plan for tonight:  Drink, watch Lost, then watch AvP2.  Lost was so good, I don't want to ruin it with AvP.

Jack's father in Jacob's hut?  Wow!

edit:  This is good news, really.  Now's the time to start out right.  Lost has a set end date -- 48 episodes from this one, in 2010 -- so they can settle in and just go at them.  It's unprecedented, really.  They've been given carte blanche to just go for it.  So they can start a massive arc now for the next 48 episodes and not have to sweat renewals and ratings and so on.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 09:11:02 AM by nacho »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 01:47:12 PM »
The sudden injection of intelligence continues with episode two, which just further clouds who the rescuers are in all the right ways.

Ben is still alive, the only character I've routinely enjoyed since season two.  And instead of, yet again, forcing us to ask why, oh, why, keep the devil alive, they address it right away.  Sawyer says right out to Locke:  It's only a matter of time before he gets us, and he's probably already worked out how he's going to do it.

This really is the new Lost -- old mysteries rediscovered, new mysteries properly seeded, reasons for the actions being taken by characters explained.  The latter, of course, is brand new for the series.

As to the mystery group, okay, they aren't with Penny's people, but they are certainly hunting the Initiative (though we're told what their mission is in this episode and, while it's not that, the back-story for the anthropologist says otherwise).  Since they don't play into the future flash-forwards, I'm eagerly awaiting their hideous demise as we continue to flash-back to the rescue.

And, god, Ben is still great.  "Because I have a man on their boat."  *end credits*

« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 02:14:31 PM by nacho »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 11:23:44 AM »
And 4.0 continues to be cool.  A Sayid flashback for this week.  Or I guess they're flash forwards now... Or whatever.  I suppose it depends on what you're partial to.  I like it when they're on the island, so I'm saying all the Oceanic 6 stuff is flash forward.  At least, that was the tone set with the season three finale.  A would could be future, based on their actions during the "rescue."  I've got more of a sense after this episode that all of the flash forwards can be undone somehow before the end of the season.

So the mystery helicopter group hunting Ben/Dharma/The Others are being handled far better than when they introduced the tail section characters.  With the rescue being the major plot point, suddenly introducing a bunch of new (and disposable) characters works just fine. 

Sayid flashbacks have always been somewhat slow.  This is no exception, but under the new format it does a good job at both slowing down after the last two episodes and building up the more cohesive arc that's begun this season.  Plus, the episode's big reveal is a mind blower.

So -- yes -- after all this time, Lost is now an amazing show.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 11:26:28 AM »
The question of course is whether the shittiness of Seasons 2 and 3 are justified from a story perspective.

In other words, did shit that was nonsensical and stupid in 2.0 and 3.0 suddenly make sense because of what you're now learning.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 11:46:37 AM »
Slowly but surely.  What we're getting now is deeper into the island's mysteries that made season one so addictive, and appeared to become muddled in season two.

Meanwhile, season three is starting to come together as we learn more about the Initiative, the Others, Ben, Jacob, etc.  They're tying stuff into Penny, as well, which is reviving a seemingly lost subplot from seasons two and three.

So, if the first three episodes of this season are any indication, we are finally on the road towards providing answers and addressing loose ends.  This is the first season where they've carried over all the subplots from the previous season and successfully continued the story.  Even the only seconds have passed opening of the second season seemed to lose its way early on.  But not yet with this season.

This does not, however, excuse the "idiot ball" aspect of season three's writing.  About 60% of that season was filler, without even a coherent sub-plot.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 04:38:40 PM »
Haven't seen it yet, but lots of folks talking about it.  Lost 4.0 has become water cooler talk on the same level as Survivor season one.  For the last two weeks, I've found myself dodging just about everybody in the office because they're all OMG HE'S WORKING FOR BEN!!!!!!!!!!

One of the many blogs I follow posted some spoilerific shit.  Pasting below just so I can go back and read it, since I'm the only one left watching this show on GS.

(The book featured in the episode briefly jumped to #1 at Amazon, and is still #1 in fiction and #2000 overall.  Here's the wikipedia link from the article:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Invention_of_Morel)

If you didn't see last night's Lost episode move along folks. Spoilers galore after the jump.

Photo Courtesy: DocArzt.com

Ok, so last night we got to see what happens to con on the run, Kate, when she returns to the mainland. Easter egg numero uno: Her lawyer, played by Shawn Doyle, previously acted alongside Elizabeth Mitchell, Juliette, in the film Frequency. In the film, he plays a serial killer named Jack Shepard (WTF?!?!?!) who kills Mitchell's character after she saves him because her son messes with time travel. I know, sounds complicated so read up on it at Wikipedia.

We also find out that Kate's taken Claire's baby, Aaron, with her.(Sidebar: How rad would it be if there's a scene later in the show where Aussie Claire screams, "Kate's got my baby!" a la Meryl Streep in A Cry in the Dark -- just me?) This also explains who "he" is when Kate tells Jack at the end of last season that she needs to go because he will be wondering where she is. Easter egg numero dos: When Kate walks into Aaron's room there is a painting on the wall of a bicyclist. On the lower right corner of the painting is a six of clubs card, the same card Spanking the Monkey Faraday remembered back on the beach with Charlotte.

Also, I'm curious about the robot couple on Aaron's wall when Kate goes to see him in his bedroom. I always thought the black smoke sounded like gynormous robots... Any thoughts? Am I reaching?

Back on the island, Sawyer is back to his bookworm ways, reading The Invention of Morel by Adolfo Bioy Casares. According to Wikipedia, It's a sci-fi novel where a fugitive hides on a deserted island somewhere in Polynesia -- hello Kate! Tourists arrive, and the fugitive's fear of being discovered is put on hold when he falls for one of the tourists -- does Kate fall for one of the freighters? Also, this connects to the previous episode when Sayid falls for the woman he's supposed to con and gets shot as a result.

The fugitive wants to tell the tourist his feelings but an anomalous phenomenon keeps them apart -- or does Kate fall for Sawyer (a tourist of sorts, because he stays with Locke) and her return to the mainland keeps them apart?

Also of note, the island in the book causes a strange disease whose symptoms are similar to radiation poisoning, similar to what biohazard suit wearing Kelvin tells Desmond when he finds him on the beach.

And lastly about the book, Wikipedia notes that the plot of Lost's "Dave" episode mirrors one of the fugitive's theories -- that he is in a psychiatric hospital dreaming he is on an island.

Books also play a role with Locke and Ben. When Locke brings Ben his breakfast he also brings him Philip K. Dick's Valis, a book in which a group of religious seekers followers Horselover Fat, on his search for god. The group's research leads them to, "a rock musician's estate where   they confront the Messiah: a two-year old named Sophia.  She confirms   their suspicions that an ancient, mechanical intelligence orbiting the earth   has been guiding their discoveries."    [via PhilipKDick.com]

Several things to note: Charlie was a hasbeen rockstar who took on the role of father for baby Aaron; Locke is a man of faith who has herded a group of sheep to follow him on his path to find Jacob, an otherworldly being directing Locke on his journey; and lastly, something on the island has been guiding the group's discoveries, could it be ETs, ghosts...?

So many questions, so few episodes left!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 04:41:58 PM by nacho »