Author Topic: Archeology & Theory  (Read 68040 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Archeology & Theory
« on: February 02, 2008, 11:42:18 AM »
Okay, I've tried this a few times before...and will fold some posts into this one in my ongoing thread cleanup project.

The plan:  A thread that just gathers stories about interesting finds, etc.  So starting out with this:

Ruins of 7,000-year-old city found in Egypt oasis

CAIRO (AFP) - A team of US archaeologists has discovered the ruins of a city dating back to the period of the first farmers 7,000 years ago in Egypt's Fayyum oasis, the supreme council of antiquities said on Tuesday.

"An electromagnetic survey revealed the existence in the Karanis region of a network of walls and roads similar to those constructed during the Greco-Roman period," the council's chief Zahi Hawwas said.

The remnants of the city are "still buried beneath the sand and the details of this discovery will be revealed in due course," Hawwas said.

"The artefacts consist of the remains of walls and houses in terracotta or dressed limestone as well as a large quantity of pottery and the foundations of ovens and grain stores," he added.

The remains date back to the Neolithic period between 5,200 and 4,500 BC.

The local director of antiquities, Ahmed Abdel Alim, said the site was just seven kilometres (four miles) from Fayyum lake and would probably have lain at the water's edge at the time it was inhabited.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Archeology & Theory
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 11:45:58 AM »
Something from monkey post from long ago...

I know you non-Archie's mightn't care - but this is a very important archaeological and historical find.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6633979.stm

They're found King Herod's grave... or so they think.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 07:23:40 AM »
Not archeology...but something to try and keep this thread alive.

Brazil has tons of these tribes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncontacted_peoples#Brazil), so it's no big deal.  They've been doing flybys of them for decades to track health and movements.

'Uncontacted tribe' sighted in Amazon

(CNN) -- Dramatic photographs have emerged of one of the few remaining peoples on earth who are thought to have had no contact with the outside world.

Taken from a small airplane, the photos show men outside thatched communal huts, necks craned upward, pointing bows toward the air in a remote corner of the Amazonian rainforest.

The National Indian Foundation, a government agency in Brazil, published the photos Thursday on its Web site. It tracks "uncontacted tribes" -- indigenous groups that are thought to have had no contact with outsiders -- and seeks to protect them from encroachment.

More than 100 uncontacted tribes remain worldwide, and about half live in the remote reaches of the Amazonian rainforest in Peru or Brazil, near the recently photographed tribe, according to Survival International, a nonprofit group that advocates for the rights of indigenous people.

"All are in grave danger of being forced off their land, killed or decimated by new diseases," the organization said Thursday.

Illegal logging in Peru is threatening several uncontacted groups, pushing them over the border with Brazil and toward potential conflicts with about 500 uncontacted Indians living on the Brazilian side, Survival International said.

Its director, Stephen Cory, said the new photographs highlight the need to protect uncontacted people from intrusion by the outside world.

"These pictures are further evidence that uncontacted tribes really do exist," Cory said in a statement. "The world needs to wake up to this, and ensure that their territory is protected in accordance with international law. Otherwise, they will soon be made extinct."

The photos released Thursday show men who look strong and healthy, the Brazilian government said. They and their relatives apparently live in six communal shelters known as malocas, according to the government, which has tracked at least four uncontacted groups in the region for the last 20 years.

The photos were taken during 20 hours of flights conducted between April 28 and May 2.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 10:07:36 AM »
They were probably wearing GAP shorts and using sports-hunting Bows.
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 11:19:25 AM »
The undiscovered tribe thing fascinates the hell out of me.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 11:20:39 AM »
They were probably wearing GAP shorts and using sports-hunting Bows.

There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline Tatertots

• Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 05:02:57 PM »

Agreed.

I can't imagine what it would be like to be one of those tribes and then come stumbling out of the bushes and see the modern world. I mean, holy shit.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 05:15:03 PM »
They aren't really allowed to.  Brazil, and a few other countries, have built up strictly quarantined reservations.  Kind of like The Village!

Offline Tatertots

• Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 08:39:38 PM »
Woah, seriously?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 09:04:12 PM »
It's easy to do...there are still large tracks of unexplored jungle.  (Check out Redmond O'Hanlan's "Into the Heart of Borneo," in which he (an overweight Brit suburbanite) and his soft poet friend decide to hike to one of the "white spots" on the map in Borneo.)

Actual "uncontacted" tribes are fairly rare.  Most of them know something about the outside world, but decide not to interact with us.  Like that island in the Indian ocean (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentinelese).  Brazil is especially good about sealing them off, mainly out of fear that they'll be exploited by explorers and scientists, exposed to illness (or expose us to weird illnesses), and general cultural sensitivity. 

Wikipedia doesn't go into much detail about the reservations, sadly, but the Brazilian government is fierce about enforcing them.  Nonetheless, these tribes are routinely slaughtered by loggers, miners, land developers, etc.  Yet another thing you can blame on America's economic pressure.  The Amazon timber industry is insane -- they'll ride out there with a private army, chase the tribes away and, if the tribes put up a fight (as they often do), machine gun and mass bury them.  Then clearcut the land.

Their susceptibility to disease is insane:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nukak#Endangered_people

65% death rate from the regular old flu.  This sort of mass die-off after being contacted is why many of the tribes have chosen isolation.  Overall, with the exception of a tiny handful, every tribe has been contacted in one way or another in the last 100 years.

Offline Tatertots

• Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 10:38:53 PM »
That's amazing. I can't imagine what they think of us. Every time we show up, bad shit happens.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 12:42:07 PM »
We are the white devil.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 11:28:44 AM »
And a video is at:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7438133.stm

Egypt's 'headless' pyramid finally finds its pharaoh

Agence France-Presse
First Posted 22:06:00 06/05/2008

SAQQARA -- Escaping from millennia of desert sands, the famous "headless" pyramid at Saqqara, near Cairo, has finally been attributed to the pharaoh Mankauhor, who ruled Egypt 4,400 years ago.

"We had to move a mountain of sand, but we're sure that this pyramid is a pyramid from the Fifth Dynasty, and the only missing pyramid (from that period) is of a king called Menkauhor," Egypt antiquities chief Zahi Hawass told journalists.

On the vast plateau of the Saqqara necropolis, German archaeologist Karl Lepsius first named the enigmatic pyramid Number 29 in his 1842 list of pyramids but since then its attribution has been a source of controversy.

Hawass and a team of young Egyptian archaeologists spent a year and a half excavating the tunnels beneath what remains of the pyramid.

Hawass said the original structure's stones were taken for buildings in Cairo.

Digging revealed the pyramid's lower infrastructure, made from giant stone blocks, and the remains of the royal burial chamber but only the lid from the royal sarcophagus itself.

The pyramid is believed to have been 45 meters high (150 feet), barely a fifth of the height of the pyramid of Kheops, the biggest of the three great pyramids at Giza.

While some believed the pyramid to be Menkauhor's, who ruled for eight years from 2,389 to 2,381 BC, others insisted it was more recent.

"There can no longer be any doubt, even if there's no inscription, everything points to this being a monument from the Fifth Dynasty, and that Menkauhor was buried there," Hawass said.

He said a more recent construction would have had a far more complex death chamber and a different kind of stone would have been used for the burial chamber.

"Sakkara is still a more or less undiscovered site, and when I say that only 30 percent of pharaonic Egypt has been discovered, this is the main place I'm thinking of," said Hawass.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 01:19:11 PM »
Soon they're going to find the Goa'uld.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 08:41:54 AM »
They found Monkey's old house:

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/life/dn14082-predinosaur-era-burrow-discovered-in-antarctica.html?feedId=online-news_rss20

Long before the age of the dinosaurs, something was constructing tunnels in Antarctica.

A burrow has been discovered in the ancient flood plain of a broad Antarctic river only a few million years after a mass extinction ended the Permian period.

The tunnel was preserved when a flood washed sand into it, forming a cast 35 centimetres deep and 16 cm wide – and even preserving claw marks scratched into the walls during excavation.

Palaeontologist Christian Sidor of the University of Washington thinks the den belonged to Thrinaxodon, a small badger-like reptile closely related to mammals.

A second candidate is a lizard-like reptile called Procolophon. Bones of both animals have been found in Antarctica and in South Africa.
Winter slumber

Fossils show that insects and plants prospered all over late-Permian Antarctica, but the oldest known fossils of four-legged animals come from sites in the Transantarctic Mountains where Sidor found the burrow.

Four-legged animals had spread over other continents tens of millions of years earlier, but were late to arrive in Antarctica, which was part of the vast supercontinent of Pangea, and like today was near the south pole.

The 245-million-year-old structure is the oldest known evidence of quadrupeds in Antarctica, and shows that, like some contemporary animals, they liked to settle down for a long winter's nap.
Extreme environment

In the late Permian, Antarctica had a more moderate climate than that encountered today, but it was still a pretty extreme environment.

"Temperatures within a burrow remain much more constant than outside," says study co-author Molly Miller of Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee, US. So the dark of polar midwinter would have been a perfect time to snuggle deep in the burrow for a long nap.

While the find is exciting, even older fossils may be hidden under the ice that now covers most of the continent, Sidor says.

Journal reference: Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology (vol 28, p277)