Author Topic: Lost: Part V . . . Not the Real Jason  (Read 9851 times)

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
Lost: Part V . . . Not the Real Jason
« on: July 27, 2008, 12:34:32 PM »
'Lost' producers drop hints about next season

Comic-Con -- Viewers watching the start of the next season of "Lost" will not initially know when or where the action is set. Producers will shake up the flashback/flashforward formula. The anonymous other Lost survivors on the Zodiac raft with Daniel Faraday will probably not survive.

Annnnd…that’s about it.

The Comic-Con "Lost" panel was very entertaining, despite being, as is necessary, light on spoilers. Executive producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse know better than anybody on the TV side how to play with the event’s panel format. There are videos screened for the occasion, surprise guests (Matthew Fox) and humorous prizes for fans asking questions.

Still, there were some tantalizing details for Losties.

On the flashbacks/flashforwards: "We have something new this year," Cuse says, "we’re going to mix it up."

But the shows will still transition to ... somewhere/sometime ... presumably.

They don't want the person who does the "whooshing" sound not to be employed, Lindelof jokes.

"The flash forwards were a bit limiting [last season] because we could only focus on the Oceanic Six, because we didn’t want to reveal other things -- like Desmond getting off the island," Lindelof says. "When season five starts, you won’t know when or where you are, and the way we tell stories will be different too."

Hmm ... what could the flashes be? Simply a combination of forwards and backwards? But they already sort of did that last season ... Showing daydreams? Night terrors? Hallucinations caused by ingesting Dharma Initiative shrooms?

Back to the fan questions: Is the seemingly immortal Richard Alpert the inspiration for the four-toed statue?

"You’re going to see him barefoot in the very near future – and that’s a pun – in the very near future," Lindelof says.

Other bits: When Desmond turned the key and everything turned purple at the end of season two, did the island jump? No, say the producers. Will Daniel Faraday and the random others Oceanic survivors on the Zodiac raft survive last season's finale? Faraday did, but as for the others ... "there's a monsoon coming," Cuse says.

Oh, and the dog, Vincent? "It’s safe to say that Vincent is going to make it to the very end of the show."

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Lost: Part V . . . Not the Real Jason
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 12:44:54 PM »
Nice.  Season four redeemed Lost... And can actually be watched without having to suffer through the first three seasons.  Let's hope the pattern continues.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 12:42:44 PM »
Well, tonight's the opener for season five!  When last we left our heroes, they were reenacting bad Star Trek episodes and nobody understood what was happening.

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2009/01/10_clues_the_writers_of_lost_are_making_it_up_as_t.php#more

The opener is actually three hours long tonight!  Jesus.  We get a one hour clip show reviewing what the fuck has happened up till now, with some new footage,  then the two hour long pilot.

Where we left off is nothing short of insane.  In the past, we finish up whatever happened with the freighter, and the island has moved to a new location using the Indiana Jones-style crank and lever in the island's basement.  Meanwhile, in the future, Matthew Fox is trying to get everyone together to return to the island with Locke's body so that they can all be healed.

And Data is trying to be more human and Geordi is kidnapped by a parasite that falls in love with him!  All while Riker learns to play a new song on the trombone for a six episode arc!

I hate this show.

And can't wait till tonight!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 10:32:21 AM »
So I just started episode one.  Was planning to hold on till I finished the opener but, damn!  We get to see Dr. Chang.  We open with Dharma-wankery flashback to before the slaughter.  A perfect way to get us going again because, really, we hate all of our castaways and just want more of the Initiative.  I'd be glad if Lost just rebooted itself to the Initiative days.

I hate this show.

OH GOD WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 10:36:19 AM »
Also, this show is now fully sci-fi, with time-traveling cast members exploring the past.  How come we didn't start out with a Voyagers! remake?  Oh well... Green light kid, we -- ugh! *staked through the heart by flying Others with laser beams*

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 03:31:51 PM »
Part two of the premiere.  This show is so ridiculously silly, really.  It's what the 1950's French surrealist directors would have done if they had access to all the money and power of Hollywood.  I still hate it...and am, of course, hopelessly, powerfully addicted.

Do not get into Lost!  Don't start this addiction.  It's terrible.  It's like I'm watching myself die from somewhere above my body.

That said... What a knockout.

So two storylines -- present day where the Oceanic Six are all freaking out.  Ben is trying to get them together, with Jack's help.  But, first they need to be rounded up.  Hurley's on the run with Sayid, Sun is in trouble thanks to her corporate rival, Kate's got the baby and is also on the run.  Desmond's with Penny and haunted by dreams... Dreams which are rooted in story B, still in the past (we now know it's three years between the flashforwards and our "regular timeline" on the island). 

Okay, three years ago, while the Oceanic Six are on the sea cooking up their lie, the rest of the castaways -- led by Sawyer, Juliet, and Team Goober -- find themselves adrift in time.  After activating the mysterious wheel of power, Ben sent the island hurtling backwards and forwards all over the place.  The time loop or whatever can only be stopped, according to Ben (and the Others, now following Locke) if the Oceanic Six return.  Ben's working towards that in the future, Locke is working towards that in his own timeline in the present, and the island seems to be providing a helping hand here and there with the usual ghost sightings that are an unresolved subplot from the first season.

In classic Lost fashion, we either have not yet caught up with the shocker flashforward that was season three's cliffhanger, or the writers have just forgotten about it.  Still plenty of room to catch up, though.

The need to reunite the Oceanic Six and then get them to the island appears to be the only way to save either the Others or the Others and the rest of the world.  Ben appears to be on the ide of good, and taking orders from a grand dame witchy elder Other.

Meanwhile, from the future perspective, we haven't touched at all on the current state of the Dharma Initiative, or Widmer's organization.

Offline Tatertots

• Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 07:08:16 PM »
I'm so, so behind on this show. I think I left off  after season 2...

So... Should I catch up?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 08:12:10 PM »
No.  Avoid it.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 09:26:49 PM »
Episode three!

Aahhh!!!

But it's a Desmond episode, so that's okay....brothaaaa!!!

The thread on the site where I downloaded it from summed it up best -- the only way Lost could possibly redeem itself is if we learn that Jacob is the Master, the island is his TARDIS, and someone show's Desmond his fob watch so all his memories return and he's the Doctor.

I agree.  And, yet, I watch this show religiously.  It's the worst show on TV and OH MY GOD WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT?!?!?!!?

Anyway, in this episode, we're flashing back from flash forwards during the flash forwards whilst also flashing back before the flash forwards.  Got it?  Good.

And that's not even counting whatever the hell is going on with Team Daniel as the island wobbles hopelessly through time. 

The point of this season appears to be simple bloodletting.  The producers have been nagged relentlessly about the nameless 40 other survivors, and they've failed to successfully focus on their stories...so now they're just going to kill all of them.  Which is something they could have been doing all along to keep shocking us.  Instead they've gone four years with just 40 people standing around.  Like the bridge crew extras in Star Trek episodes who never react to whatever insanity is going on, even when Q appears in the middle of the room with a marching band and Riker gets into a fistfight with a Klingon.  Keep working.  Don't turn around.  Don't acknowledge anything...

The island side of the story is actually a bit more interesting now.  Sawyer, Juliet and Locke are flitting through time, while Daniel's team appear to be running parallel with them.  We learn that Richard is pretty much immortal.  The story's really more about the Others this season than anything else.  Ben back in the real world trying to get the Oceanic Six together, and answering to some sort of Other mistress, and then the rest of the Others on the island under Locke and Richard, depending on where we are in the timeline.

Also, the Widmer revelation was fucking awesome!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 09:30:14 PM by nacho »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 11:40:01 AM »
Well...here we go.  After three blow out episodes, we get back to the Lost formula:  ten boring episodes, to be followed by a freakout finale arc.

The island story is getting plodding... But at least it's a different set-up, with just a core group traveling through time and Locke's sort of pasisve quest to get off the island, die, and be reborn as Jesus or whatever.

And they aren't making the usual mistakes with the Oceanic Six.  That is, Ben's almost comical attempts to get them together appears to be working.  That is, with Jack and Sayid, at least.  We'll now spend an agonizing season trying to convince the others to join them.

Here's the saving grace -- Ben.  The guy playing Ben is awesome... He's the real star of this show.  And now his character is no longer all powerful and at the head of the Others.  He's on the ground, pressed for time, on the mainland, and pretty much a pseudo-fugitive.  This lends an element of desperation to his usual subdued villainy.  I'd be happy if the season just switched entirely to Ben's POV.

And here's what's not the saving grace -- the Back to the Future part II stuff where our time traveling goofballs are watching scenes from the first season.  God.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 12:24:33 PM »
Oh, but, I am thrilled to see not only that Jin is still alive, but that he's trapped in the past with Rousseau's party.  Because we know what happens to those poor bastards.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 11:24:20 AM »
Goddamn...this fucking show.

I'm surprisingly okay with Jin being alive.  Largely because I love that they've thrown him 20 years or so into the past with Rousseau's team.  So much better than Locke's group, which are just flitting around mindlessly through time.  If you're going to do time travel, then have them anchored somewhere crazy!  Too bad it doesn't last and, after a prolonged stint with Rousseau's team, Jin starts to time shift as well.

It's nice to hear the numbers station again.  Except the voice and tone has changed from the spooky numbers in season one.  Strangely thrilling to see Rousseau's backstory.   

Overall, a better episode than last week.  They're still advancing the story, unlike previous seasons, so that's good.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 04:42:30 PM »
Not that it matters since Lost appears to be immortal.

ABC's Lost saw its ratings inch down for the fourth consecutive week since its season premiere with the episode that aired last night, according to The Hollywood Reporter

The night's ratings—9.8 million viewers, 4.4 preliminary adults 18-49 and a 10 share—represented a 6 percent dip, but it was the largest yet against Fox's American Idol, which stretched into the 9 p.m. hour.

This season's time-travel storyline has largely pleased fans, but has been tricky to follow despite the network's best efforts to keep viewers on track, the trade paper reported. Still, Lost continues to rank as Wednesday's highest-rated scripted series.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 10:47:15 PM »
Well, an interesting chance to compare television phenomenons.  Last Friday's BSG episode was really talky and hurriedly explaining everything so we could launch into the finale arc...and it was somewhat clumsy.  Not a terrible episode, but more Stargate level sci-fi than anything.

So last night's Lost was a really talky one, as well.  Also hurriedly explaining lots of stuff (in usual not-the-whole-truth Lost style), but it was probably one of the best episodes of the series.  Probably because Lost trends towards the fantastical and, couched within the uber-sci-fi theme of this season, and the Dharma Initiative mythos they've been clumsily building for five years, we're able to take these half-lit revelations in stride.  With Lost, you don't expect much.  Everyone watching is watching because they're addicted, and they're fully prepared for no resolutions.  But BSG has demanded more of the audience and, so, lets us down when they poorly deliver a slew of answers.

As these are similar revelation episodes, I'm a little disturbed putting them together.  In terms of handling the storytelling, Lost succeeds where BSG does not.   

Offline Matt

• working through the 1st 10,000
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 11:39:35 PM »
blah blah blah fuck this show not watching it now not ever GIVE ME BATTLESTAR OR GIVE ME DEATH