Author Topic: Henry Gale's not the boss of me! Lost, season two  (Read 26711 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Henry Gale's not the boss of me! Lost, season two
« on: September 18, 2005, 07:33:51 PM »
Lost starts on Wednesday.  This thread is for collecting all the crazy shit that we missed because we didn't watch the episode four times in a row to figure out what was really going on.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 08:50:54 AM by nacho »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42: Lost, season two
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 07:48:58 PM »
To set up season two, the whispers in the jungle have been clarified.  Here they are:

While escaping, Sayid hears:

Man's voice: "Just let him get out of here."
Man's voice: "He's seen too much already."
Man's voice: "What if he tells?"
Woman's voice: "Could just speak to him"
Man's voice: "No."

In Outlaws, while Sawyer hunts the boar, he hears:

Woman's voice: "Maybe we should just talk to him."
Man's voice: "No, if he sees us it will ruin everything."
Man's voice: "What did he see?"
Woman's voice: "They could help us."
Man's voice: "Come back around."
(Sawyer pauses, crickets and cicada are heard)
Man's voice: "What did he see?"
Man's voice: "Nothing, he was following it."
Woman's voice: "Speak."
Man's voice: "Nothing."

(flashback voiceover) Frank Duckett's voice: "It'll come back around."

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 09:01:54 PM »
the numbers are bad! the numbers are bad!

anyway, i'm just going to say right now that i watched half of season one with nacho and he was right...this show is awesome.  they don't make many like this anymore.  thing is, the entire season goes by and you don't learn anything at all in 22 episodes.  you learn about the characters, but as to what's going on....who knows?  and, it would be just like them to carry it on for another season or two without revealing anything.  ah well, we'll find out on wednesday.  

anyway, i'm pretty good at picking up on things the first time around.  hey nach, did you see hurley on the TV in Jin's episode?  there's a ton of those things.  characters walking around in the background in other people's flashbacks.  

also, what surprised me, on the bonus features DVD jj abrams says they had no idea where they were going with things after the pilot.  just goes to show how great the writing team is, able to come up with all that stuff pretty much from month to month or whatever.  GAH! 3 more days!
You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 10:35:24 PM »
I don't believe that Abrams was in the dark.  He also said "Everything you see has a purpose" in referring to the flashbacks.

Yeah, though, everything in the flashbacks is connected.  There are about a hundred sites that can connect every single flashback and all of the main characters.

The big black guy from Oz joins them this season.  Since he wasn't on the Others' boat, he must be in the hatch.  I look forward to him joining the cast, though.

Also:
http://greatsociety.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=172&Itemid=2

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 05:42:20 PM »
So, I read your Lost piece, and thought it was well done, but I'm not sure I agree wiith your summation that we'll be talking about it fifteen years from now.

For one, look at Twin Peaks. Once we found out who killed Laura Palmer (Her father Leland Palmer, possessed by the demon/timetraveller/extra dimesional energy, Bob), the show slipped off the radar. Sure, we cultists keep it's memory alive and TV execs scream, "This is the next Twin Peaks" about every other weird new drama that pops up, but ask anyone under the age of twenty about the show.

Secondly, until it, and my personal fave, Desperate Housewives, survives a sceond season, they're nothing but flukes. My fear is that both shows are going to suffer from sophomore jinx and drop the ball.

Also, if it does survive, will it's entire run be of a Hill Street Blues quality or will is muddle it's legacy like The X-Files did with a storyline so convoluted even hardcore fans got lost?

I'm rooting for it though for no other fact that it's nice to see intelligent programming make a comeback.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 05:59:51 PM »
I think lots of 20-something folks know about Twin Peaks.  The cult status isn't as below the radar as you think, mainly thanks to the DVD generation. (Under 20's aren't human beings, don't talk to them.)

I'd also blame slipping off the radar to how the second season was handled.  We find out who killed Laura, and that delves into a deeper mystery.  Almost exactly what we're seeing with Lost.  We see the bad guys, and all it does is create a larger question...

What happened was that the second season was left to die.  Lynch didn't want it to go on, he all but walked out on it. Said he hated TV and catering to that industry. The second season was crippled before it began.

Again, a parallel.  Abrams comes out and says there was no plan for the first season.  We saw that with Lynch who openly said he condemned any thoughts of a second season (and, therefore, after the initial cliffhanger solution episodes, it was unplanned.).  The money spoke, but the talent left in anger.  (Some argue that the second season was thrown on purpose after Lynch washed his hands of it.)  

The sophomore jinx is, indeed, my greatest fear.  The point of the article, really.  Will the crash come tonight?  If Abrams is telling the truth about his unplanned plotline then, yes, we go into a tailspin right away.

But considering that Galactica has already crushed any thoughts of a jinx, I have faith in modern TV again.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 06:20:51 PM »
Let's review possible fuckups!  What's your vote?  I say #1 or #6.

(1) The team go on some sort of psychedelic
 journey when they go into the hatch and get spit out with their memories erased (What I'll call the "Lodge Scenario," in keeping with my Twin Peaks comparison)

(2) The Others are actually just some funky pirates on the other side of the island (the anti-supernatural solution)

(2a) Pirate battle!  Two tribes always at odds with each other.  ( The Survivor All Stars Solution)

(3) Oh, it's just a government thing and it's a big nothing...EXCEPT FOR THE BROKEN DEFENSE ROBOSAUR!!! (the Forbidden Planet solution and, also, the Lost Season One Solution)

(4) It's Evil, doods.  And, once every few years, Evil is given form and must something something (The Ten Thousand Maniacs/Ghost Ship Solution)

(5) The island is good, the Others are bad, the Hatch is just some weird-ass government shit trying to maintain the balance and now it's falling apart. (The OMG Matthew Fox is now a Super Hero! Solution)

(6) There's nothing there  (The Gosh, If It Ain't Broke Solution)

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 06:25:28 PM »
Sounds like you're a proponent of the "They died in the plane crash" theory.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 06:27:32 PM »
Quote from: RottingCorpse
Sounds like you're a proponent of the "They died in the plane crash" theory.

Am I?  How so?

(I'm not.  It's clear that they haven't, actually.)

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 06:40:25 PM »
I only know what I've read about the show, but the "they're dead" theory was the only one I've heard that you didn't mention in your "six ways to fuck Lost up" post.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 07:50:27 PM »
Oh!  Well, that's because they're not.  Abrams and everyone else insisted that we get that straight before the show even started.  Also, when you watch the show, there's no way they could all be dead.  It wouldn't make sense...especially with the jungle voices demystified.  Some stupid internet blogger says they're dead and, suddenly, it's all over the place.  You might as well say all of your Desperate Housewives are dead.

However......

(7) They're all dead (the Riverworld Solution)

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 07:53:50 PM »
Quote from: nacho
You might as well say all of your Desperate Housewives are dead.

That would take the show to a whole new level. Actually, I'd like to see them get back to teh creepy weirdness they started out with in the beginning. Desperate Housewives actually felt a lot like Twin Peaks in those first couple episodes and then got soapier and soapier as it went on.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2005, 08:57:12 PM »
Oh, and I'm stuck with downloading because my TV's in the crawlspace and I'm afraid to go down there after dark when the ghost cats come out.  So I'll stop reading this thread...

Actually, I'm 29 minutes away from Batman Begins.  Faster, Verizon, kill, kill!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 02:20:23 PM »
So I'll see it tonight, but it opened with the highest rating CBS has seen, some sort of groovy opening sequence that has made everyone run around screaming about the great powers of Lost and is, apparently, the best episode yet.

So... I expected all the Lost fanatics to go WTF!  The hatch is made of cheese?!  Nope, looks like season two starts strong.  There's the first hurdle made.

Now...the countdown.  Five hours until I get home and fire this bitch up.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 10:37:13 PM »
The Nacho Opinion:  Fallout Freaks, 70's music, spectral ghosts dripping water, the fucking numbers, whispering jungle, record players, backwards talking, larger conspiracies, Scotsmen and...

OH MY GOD DON'T END THE EPISODE LIKE THAT!