Author Topic: Mythbusters  (Read 6788 times)

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
  • maybe you shouldn't dress like a bumblebee, bitch
Mythbusters
« on: October 19, 2006, 09:48:06 PM »
I don't watch that much TV.  I lived without cable for so long that I really find it hard to get amped about anything TV related, but now that I have cable I watch, almost exclusively, Jepoardy, Mythbusters, How It's Made and motorcycle racing coverage on the Speed Channel.

But Mythbusters is without a doubt my absolute favorite show on TV.  Sure, they make myths up sometimes just for an excuse to blow up a cement truck or rocket a gigantic steel shark through the water to see if they can blow apart a cage... but an explosion is an explosion.  It's always awesome.

The best part of Mythbusters, though... Kari Byron.  My lord.

TiVo that shit, bitches... one of the best shows on TV.
8=o tation

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Mythbusters
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 09:50:31 PM »
I hate the show but, yes, I'm addicted to the girl.  Even though the angle of that FHM shot makes it look like her head was hit by a plank.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 09:23:37 AM »
Mythbusters is great fun. They proved that a dog's mouth really is cleaner than yours.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 10:44:44 AM »
So did your 7th grade science teacher.  That's my problem...the myths are no big wows.  Junior high stuff.  And then, yes, they throw in the made up shit. 

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 10:49:15 AM »
So did your 7th grade science teacher.  That's my problem...the myths are no big wows.  Junior high stuff.  And then, yes, they throw in the made up shit. 

But that's not entirely true.  They have a whole series of episodes where they attempt to find out if stuff that happens in movies is even possible in real life, which I really like.  Also, regardless of what the "myth" is, they always approach it as scientifically as is possible.  So basically, it's a really fun show with a hot chick and explosions and a funny little Asian guy and you're just a stick in the mud.  Fin.
8=o tation

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 10:54:57 AM »
Also, regardless of what the "myth" is, they always approach it as scientifically as is possible.

I think they approach it in the way that will look coolest when they re-enact it.  Not necessarily related to science so much.

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 11:51:49 AM »
I think they approach it in the way that will look coolest when they re-enact it.  Not necessarily related to science so much.

Partially true, but the method is there.  They attempt to have controls and variables, etc. in order to make the process as accurate as possible... they'll also go back and re-do a myth if they get enough mail questioning their methods.  The best of the re-visited myths was when they tried to see if you could really split an arrow in half with another arrow like Robin Hood... it's impossible, in case you were wondering.
8=o tation

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 12:20:14 PM »
You've been sucked in by the girl, Nubbins.  Admit it.  No one defends a show like that unless they're hoping to sleep with Kari Byron.  I think she spends the weekends calling all the fans.  Watch the show, you might get to sleep with me.  We're having a raffle.

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 12:36:03 PM »
You've been sucked in by the girl, Nubbins.  Admit it.  No one defends a show like that unless they're hoping to sleep with Kari Byron.  I think she spends the weekends calling all the fans.  Watch the show, you might get to sleep with me.  We're having a raffle.

Nah, bullshit... true, the hot ladies don't hurt the show any, but it is genuinely interesting most of the time.  They had an entire episode on the quickest way to cool a six pack of beer for Christ's sake! 

I still don't see what exactly you hate about it so much.  It's creative, interesting television... no recycled plots, no character development on people I couldn't give a flying fuck about.  It's fantastic.
8=o tation

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 01:05:59 PM »
Playground.  Three pm.  I'll show you.

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 01:09:38 PM »
Oh, great... now I have to wade through 16 seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer...
8=o tation

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 01:35:54 PM »
Also, regardless of what the "myth" is, they always approach it as scientifically as is possible.

Reggie ain't no dummie.

Still, it's not like thier trying to prove the world is flat, you know what I'm saying? Everything is fact based.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 01:39:33 PM »
Oh, great... now I have to wade through 16 seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer...

AND Angel!

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 01:07:08 AM »
Okay, so they're on Beyond Tomorrow right now... they're attempting to beat a brethalyzer.  They're pounding liquor at 9am... and getting paid for it.  Awesome.
8=o tation

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 10:05:56 AM »
If they do it, I'm trying it.